Nearly five hundred Rieslings from seven countries, International judges / presenters, academic presentations, Master classes, recognition of the best Rieslings and the biggest public Riesling tasting in the Southern Hemisphere will all happen at the Hyatt Hotel and Albert Hall in Canberra on 11 to 17 October 2015.
The 16th Canberra International Riesling Challenge will again promote, award and recognise excellence in one of the oldest grape varieties and one of the first vines planted in Australia. The CIRC is not just a wine show:
- Judging: Rieslings from France, Germany, USA, Czech Republic, New Zealand, and South Africa will join Australian wines in three days of judging to find the best in each region, country and the best of Show. Judges from Australia, New Zealand, Germany, and the USA will smell, taste, and ponder the merits of each wine before declaring the winners.
- Seminar on Riesling Excellence: 16 October at the Hyatt Hotel Canberra, hosted by Charles Sturt University Wagga Wagga / National Wine and Grape Industry Centre. Leading Riesling academics will present findings on how to make the best wines with topics including What’s hiding in your Clare Riesling?; Carbohydrate/ Nitrogen/ post-harvest management – with a focus on Riesling results; Ripening levels / flavours in Riesling; Concept of Terroir.
- Master Class of Rieslings from the World: 16 October at the Hyatt Hotel Canberra. This year the spotlight is on Rieslings from the Clare Valley with a presentation and tasting of Clare Valley Rieslings by Neil Pike and Kerri Thompson; and Rieslings from the USA with Jim Trezise from the NY Wine and Grape Foundation guiding participants through Rieslings from six different areas highlighting terroir, regions, styles, consumption and future of the variety.
- Awards Presentation: 16 October at the Hyatt Hotel where the best of the best will be recognised. Winning wines will be available for tasting.
- The biggest public tasting of Riesling in the Southern Hemisphere: 17 October at the Albert Hall, Canberra. Come and taste the 484 wines entered in this year’s Challenge.
For more information contact www.rieslingchallenge.com